Declaration of Cooperation
National Human Rights Commission of lndonesia
Komisi Nasional Hak Asasi Manusia (Komnas HAM)
Human Rights Commission of Malaysia
Suruhanjaya Hak Asasi Manusia Malaysia (SUHAKAM)
Commission on Human Rights of the Philippines (CHRP)
Komisyon ng Karapatang Pantao ng Pilipinas
The National Human Rights Commission of Thailand
Khana Khammakarn Sithi Manusayachon Hang Chart (Khamakarn Sit)
Recalling the initiative made during the 4th Workshop on the ASEAN Mechanism on Human Rights jointly organized by the ASEAN Working Group for an ASEAN Human Rights Mechanism, the Indonesian Foreign Ministry, and the Indonesian Human Rights Commission’ held in Jakarta on 17-18 June 2004 to discuss the building up of closer cooperation as well as to identify practical and most feasible actions that may be taken together for the protection and promotion of human rights,
Noting in particular the five human rights areas of common concern already identified during the 1st consultation meeting of the four national human rights commissions held in Bangkok on 19 October 2004, namely the implementation of economic, social, and cultural rights and right to development, enhancement of human rights education, human rights aspects of trafficking in persons especially women and children, protection of the human rights of migrants and migrant workers, and the suppression of terrorism while respecting human rights,
Reiterating that the human rights areas of common identified have been extensively discussed during the 211d consultation meeting held in Kuala Lumpur on 15-17 March 2006, and that possible activities for further cooperation have been developed, Reaffirming the needs and willingness among the four national human rights commissions to enhance their cooperation in whatever areas on human rights to be agreed upon in the future,
Recognizing the efforts made by ASEAN and the ASEAN Working Group for an ASEAN Human Rights Mechanism to establish an appropriate regional human rights mechanism, Reaffirming that the ultimate goal of cooperation among themselves is to pursue the promotion for respect and protection of human rights and that cooperation with organizations upholding the same principles and objectives is foreseeable.
Do hereby declare:
- The four national human rights commissions shall do whatever possible to carry out jointly, either on bilateral or multilateral basis, programmes and activities in areas of human rights identified and agreed upon at the meetings.
- Regional strategies for the promotion and protection of human rights shall be gradually developed within and among the four national human rights commissions including advising their respective governments to take the necessary steps to establish an appropriate ASEAN human rights mechanism and/or any organ in the ASEAN Charter
- Formalization of cooperation should be further enhanced. More specific terms of references shall continue to be discussed among the four national human rights commissions.
- The four national human rights commissions shall meet regularly, at least once a year. Host could be rotated on alphabetical basis or as othen.vise agreed upon.
- The four national human rights commissions shall welcome and be open to considering any cooperation or joint efforts with other like-minded organizations, be they governmental or non-governmental or academic institutions, to pursue their commitments to promote respect for and protection on human rights in their respective countries, in the region and in the international community.
Done in Bali, Indonesia on 28 June 2007